Edison Drug Crime Defense Lawyers
Being charged with a drug-related crime in Edison, New Jersey, is a frightening, life-changing experience. You could face severe consequences like steep fines or even prison time if you are convicted. But remember that you are innocent until proven otherwise, and you don’t have to take on the legal system alone.
At William Proetta Criminal Law, we’ve got your back. Our skilled Edison criminal defense lawyers stand ready to look out for your best interests and help you navigate this difficult time with confidence.
At William Proetta Criminal Law, our team is committed to helping people charged with drug-related crimes in Edison. Our firm has handled thousands of criminal cases in New Jersey, and we’re ready to defend your rights when you need us.
To learn more about your legal options, contact the experienced Edison drug crime defense lawyers at William Proetta Criminal Law for a free case evaluation.
What Are Drug Crimes?
Drug crimes refer to criminal offenses involving illegal drugs or controlled substances. A controlled substance is a drug or chemical regulated by state and federal law. The United States Controlled Substances Act and the New Jersey Controlled Dangerous Substance Act define and categorize controlled substances based on their potential medical use or abuse.
Examples of controlled substances include:
- Schedule I – These drugs have a high potential for abuse and are generally not used to treat any medical condition. Heroin, methamphetamine, LSD/acid, and ecstasy/MDMA/molly are all Schedule I drugs.
- Schedule II – These drugs have a high potential for abuse but also have legitimate medical uses. Because many substances in Schedule II can lead to dependence, there are significant restrictions on the use of these drugs for treating medical conditions. Schedule II drugs include prescription medications like oxycodone/Percocet, hydrocodone/Vicodin, Methadone, morphine, Adderall, and Ritalin. Cocaine is also a Schedule II drug.
- Schedule III – While some Schedule III drugs have the potential to be abused, New Jersey deems that risk lower than with substances in Schedules I and II. These drugs include ketamine, steroids, and suboxone.
- Schedule IV – Common Schedule IV drugs, which have a lower potential for abuse than drugs in the preceding three categories, include benzodiazepines (Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax) and barbiturates.
- Schedule V – Drugs listed in Schedule V have the lowest potential for abuse of all scheduled drugs. These substances include up to 200 mg of codeine, up to 100 mg of opium, up to 50 mg of ethylmorphine, up to 100 mg of dihydrocodeine, and up to 2.5 mg of diphenoxylate.
Types of Drug Crime Cases We Handle in Edison
Our dedicated Edison defense lawyers can handle all types of drug-related cases in New Jersey, including those that involve:
- Possession – Depending on the types and amounts of drugs involved, having illegal drugs in your possession could be a disorderly persons offense or an indictable crime. Disorderly persons offenses are basically New Jersey’s version of misdemeanors, while indictable crimes in New Jersey are usually equivalent to felonies in other states.
- Use – It is against New Jersey law to use or be under the influence of any controlled dangerous substance or controlled substance analog unless it has been legally prescribed by a doctor as a method of treatment for an injury or illness (N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10b). Drug use and being under the influence is a disorderly persons offense in Edison.
- Distribution – Selling or distributing controlled substances is illegal. You could face distribution charges if you have a large quantity of drugs in your possession. Distribution is usually an indictable crime in New Jersey.
- Paraphernalia – It is a crime to possess drug paraphernalia in Edison (N.J.S.A. 2C:36-2). Possession of drug paraphernalia is considered a disorderly persons offense. Common examples of drug paraphernalia include syringes and hypodermic needles, vials, and pipes. Many people who are charged with drug possession or distribution crimes also find themselves facing a related drug paraphernalia charge.
- Manufacturing – You cannot produce or manufacture controlled substances in Edison. If the police catch you producing or manufacturing drugs, you could face charges for an indictable crime.
- Trafficking – Trafficking involves transporting or importing controlled substances across state or U.S. borders. Trafficking is a serious indictable crime in New Jersey.
Penalties for Drug Crimes in Edison, New Jersey
The penalties for drug crimes in Edison can be severe depending on the type of offense and the drug in question. Penalties related to common drug-related charges in Edison include:
- Possession of drugs or paraphernalia – The penalties for possession vary depending on the drug or other item you have. For example, possession of controlled substances is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $35,000. In comparison, someone possessing drug paraphernalia might only face up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
- Distribution of a controlled substance – This severe offense can be an indictable crime in New Jersey. As a result, depending on the types and quantities of drugs in question, you could face 18 months to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $500,000.
- Drug trafficking – This serious crime can result in a lifetime prison sentence with the possibility of parole after 25 years. You could also face a fine of up to $750,000 or five times the street value of the drugs in question.
In addition to these criminal penalties, you could face other consequences like mandatory drug treatment, community service, and probation. New Jersey does not take drug crimes lightly, so it’s a good idea to retain a New Jersey drug crime lawyer if you are facing drug-related charges.
Potential Defenses to an Edison Drug Possession Charge
If you have been accused of a drug offense in Edison, New Jersey, there are several possible strategies your attorney could use on your behalf, such as:
- Lack of knowledge – To be convicted of a drug crime, the prosecution must show that you knew you had an illegal substance in your possession. If you face possession charges, a lawyer could demonstrate that you were unaware of a drug’s presence.
- Illegal search and seizure – If the police find a controlled substance during an unlawful search or seizure, they cannot use the drugs as evidence.
- Medical necessity – A valid prescription can be an effective defense against possession charges.
- Diversionary program – Entering into a diversionary program, which permits first-time drug crime offenders to avoid a conviction by fulfilling specific requirements, could be an effective approach.
The possible defenses and strategies for your case will depend on the specifics. Our experienced Edison drug crimes defense lawyer can evaluate your specific situation, identify helpful evidence, and build a strong defense for you.
Why You Need Our Edison Drug Crime Defense Attorneys
Drug crimes are serious offenses that can have life-altering consequences. But an experienced Edison drug crimes lawyer can make a substantial difference in the outcome of your case. At William Proetta Criminal Law, we pride ourselves on our:
- Experience – We have handled thousands of criminal defense cases throughout New Jersey and have extensive experience successfully defending clients against drug-related charges. We will provide you with the savvy legal advice and support you need at this critical juncture.
- Strong reputation – Our team of legal professionals is known across New Jersey for our tenacity, our commitment to our clients, and the favorable outcomes we have diligently pursued on their behalf. We know the local prosecutors, judges, and nuances of the court systems.
- Personalized attention – You will never be just another case to us. Each and every client our law firm takes on gets the personalized attention they deserve. Our compassionate criminal defense lawyers will help you understand your legal options and determine the best course of action for your unique situation.
- Devotion to justice – We will do everything in our power to seek justice on your behalf. We will fight for your freedom at the negotiating table and fiercely defend your rights in court. We understand the implications of a drug-related conviction and will work tirelessly for you.
Contact an Experienced Edison Drug Crime Defense Lawyer
The drug crime defense lawyers at William Proetta Criminal Law are ready to defend your rights inside and outside the courtroom. If you’re facing a drug charge in Edison, there’s no time to waste. Contact us today for a free case evaluation so we can help you protect your future.