William A. Proetta, Esq.
With more than a decade of experience defending clients against criminal charges, founding partner William A. Proetta has successfully handled and tried thousands of cases, from DWI to murder. As a New Jersey native, he has focused his career on helping people in the area where he grew up, serving Middlesex, Ocean, Hudson, and Union counties.
As a hometown defense lawyer, Mr. Proetta has developed a depth of knowledge about local law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges. He understands the intricacies of the jurisdictions he serves in, and those insights can make a huge difference for his clients.
“Because I’ve spent so many years defending cases in New Jersey courts, I can help clients get a realistic idea of how a case will probably play out in court,” he says. “I am a straight shooter when it comes to explaining what I can do for my clients and how I can help.”
A Personalized Approach to Criminal Defense
Mr. Proetta starts each case by meeting with clients for a free consultation to go over what happened, potential strengths and weaknesses for the case, defense strategies, and what he can do to help. “My main priority is to make my clients feel comfortable and make connections with them,” he says.
He also makes sure his clients aren’t bounced around from attorney to attorney. “When you hire me, you get me,” he says. “Although you get the power of a strong team at William Proetta Criminal Law, I pride myself on having a one-on-one relationship with my clients. That is a huge factor in getting results.”
Throughout the duration of each case, Mr. Proetta stays in close contact with clients, preparing them for what to expect every step of the way. “My clients can talk to me whenever they want. If they have questions, concerns, or need help understanding something, I’m always available.”
Mr. Proetta has put an emphasis on creating a tight-knit team at his firm. He’s worked at big firms and handled large cases, gaining valuable trial and negotiation skills. He wanted his firm to offer that same high level of representation, but with a personal touch. “Our office is like a small family,” he says. “We rely on each other’s skills and dedication to get the job done and deliver excellent results. When you come to Willima Proetta Criminal Law, you’re going to get that big firm experience with the small firm customer care.”
A Wide Range of Criminal Defense Experience
Mr. Proetta has dedicated his career to defending clients against criminal charges and related offenses in Superior Court, Municipal Court, and Federal Court. He has a long track record of successfully handling drug crime charges, weapons offenses, theft charges, assault charges, and shoplifting crimes. He also represents juvenile offenders and clients seeking to clear their criminal record through the expungement process.
Extensive DWI Defense Credentials
In particular, Mr. Proetta provides unparalleled experience in DWI and DUI defense based on his certifications and credentials in standardized field sobriety testing, instruction, and breath test operation and performance. He is often sought out for DUI defense cases based on his credentials, including:
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Certified: Mr. Proetta is among approximately 20 lawyers certified by the National Transportation Safety Administration in proper administration and evaluation of standardized field sobriety tests. These tests are used to establish both probable cause to arrest and prove a DWI case where there is no scientific evidence of blood alcohol content (e.g. Alcotest readings or blood sample readings).
- SFST Instructor: Mr. Proetta is also one of only approximately five attorneys in New Jersey recognized as a DUI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Breath Test Certification – Maintenance & Operation of Alcotest 7110: Mr. Proetta was trained by Hansueli Ryser, the inventor of Draeger Safety Diagnostics Alcotest 7110 MKIII-C Version NJ3.11’s analytical system, components, and peripherals. He is also trained on how to operate the instrument and perform a New Jersey-specific breath test sequence.
Your Hometown Defense Lawyer
Mr. Proetta grew up in Middletown, New Jersey. He stayed in the state for his undergrad education, earning his B.A. at Seton Hall University in 2006. He then went on to earn his Juris Doctorate at the Seton Hall University School of Law in 2009.
If he’s not at the office or in the courtroom, you can probably find Mr. Proetta outdoors, either hunting or fishing. He’s also always looking for ways to improve his strategy skills and gain more criminal defense knowledge. “Each day is a chance to learn more, get more experience, and provide even better results for our clients,” he says.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law (2009)
- B.A., Seton Hall University (2006)
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Criminal Defense
- Juvenile Charges
- Restraining Orders
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2020)
- Top 40 Criminal Attorneys Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers Association (2017)
- Avvo Client’s Choice (2015-2017)