Driver license right icon, cartoon style

Possession of a Fake ID Attorney in Hudson County


Years ago, possession of a fake ID may have been waved off with a warning or just confiscation of the ID, especially at locals bars and pubs. Not anymore. Police take a much harder line on fake IDs these days, even though scores of underage people have them and try to use them to get into bars and clubs across New Jersey. Unfortunately, you can run into serious problems if you are caught using a fake ID or fake driver’s license to get into a bar or pub in Hoboken, Jersey City, or another town in New Jersey. The charges and penalties you may face for this offense, known as Tampering with Public Records or Information under N.J.S.A. 2C: 28-7, are extremely serious and can leave you with a criminal record that follows you around for years to come. Avoid letting one mistake or misunderstanding get in the way of your future goals.

If you or your son or daughter has been charged with possession of a fake ID in New Jersey, get help from an attorney with experience handling these cases. Our lawyers at William Proetta Criminal Law have successfully defended countless clients facing fake ID charges in Hoboken, Jersey City, Hudson County, and throughout New Jersey. Contact our NJ fake ID defense lawyers at (201) 793-8018 for immediate assistance. We provide free consultations.


If you are arrested for having or using a fake ID in New Jersey, you will likely be charged under the statute prohibiting “tampering with public records or information” in violation of NJSA 2C:28-7. To convict you of this charge, prosecutors must establish that you either knowingly altered a government document; or made, presented, gave, or used a document that you knew was false to someone intending to fool them into thinking it was actually genuine. You can also be convicted under NJSA 2C:28-7 if you conceal, destroy, or remove information from an official document, like a driver’s license, in an attempt to create a fake ID.

Tampering with public records or information in violation of NJSA 2C:28-7 is usually classified as a disorderly persons offense. You can be charged with a more serious third degree crime if you use a fake ID or altered document to defraud or injure anyone. This would typically happen in a situation where you used a fake ID to open a bank account in someone else’s name, steal from them, or otherwise commit serious fraud or inflict injury on another person. You are likely to face a disorderly persons offense if you used a fake ID to enter a nightclub or bar, but did not use that ID to commit fraud or harm anyone.


Fake ID charges under NJSA 2C:28-7 are normally charged as a disorderly persons offense, and will result in a criminal conviction on your record. Disorderly persons offenses can carry serious penalties, including up to 6 months in county jail. You may also be ordered to pay up to $1,000 in fines, plus court fees and assessments upon conviction.

Fortunately, a skilled lawyer can often have a Fake ID charge downgraded to a local city or township ordinance, which is not technically a crime. By obtaining a municipal ordinance, which is similar to a ticket from a local municipality, you can avoid a conviction on your criminal record and keep your record clean if it is your offense. A municipal ordinance violation will not result in a jail time. You cannot count on a prosecutor allowing you to plead to a local violation when they have a more serious criminal charge at their disposal, so it’s important to have a knowledgeable attorney on your side.

For a more serious third degree false identification offense, the penalties are more severe by several orders of magnitude. You may face years in prison and tens of thousands of dollars in fines.


If you have been charged with a Fake ID, you should seek guidance from an attorney who can can explain your options. Our experienced NJ fake ID lawyers can often reduce the impact that a fake ID offense will have on your life by getting the charge reduced to a municipal ordinance offense or even getting it dismissed entirely. Call us today at (201) 793-8018 to consult with a lawyer who can provide you with further information.