Bench Warrants in Union County

It is common practice for New Jersey municipal court and superior court judges to issue a bench warrant for your arrest for failure to appear in court, failure to pay your fines, a violation of probation, failure to pay child support, or contempt of a court order. The court system implements bench warrants to help enforce the court’s authority and ensure individuals follow the law and take care of their financial and legal responsibilities. One of the most common reasons a bench warrant is issued is because a defendant will forget about a ticket and miss their court date. At that time the judge will normally issue a bench warrant for the defendant’s arrest. Moreover, a record of the failure to appear in court will also be sent to the New Jersey DMV who will suspend the defendant’s drivers license. If you are caught driving during this time you can be charged additionally with Driving While Suspended. That being said, if you are picked up on the warrant by police, they will be required to post a bail and at time they will receive a new court date and have the warrant rescinded. However, even after you receive a new court date, you may still be required to appear in court and resolve your case before the judge will lift the suspension of your driver’s license. It is also common for the court to charge the defendant with contempt or seek a heavy fine as a penalty for not appearing in court. At the William Proetta Criminal Law we have handled literally thousands of criminal and municipal charges for our clients throughout New Jersey with many involving bench warrants. Our attorneys are often able to work with the courts to have a new court date set and the bench warranted lifted, even without you having to appear. In cases where the court requires your appearance to post a bail we will organize the proceedings with the court so that the process is quick and easy. Our criminal lawyers represent clients for bench warrants in Elizabeth, Union Twp, Plainfield, Roselle Park, Linden, Hillside, Rahway, and Cranford. If you would like to learn more information about how we can help you then contact us at (908) 838-0150 for a free consultation with an experienced lawyer who can answer you questions and address any concerns.