Types of Probation in New Jersey

probation text buffered

Supervised Vs. Unsupervised Probation in NJ

If you have been convicted of a criminal offense in New Jersey or taken advantage of a pretrial diversion program like Pre-Trial Intervention (PTI) or Drug Court, there’s a good chance that the court will place you on some form of probation instead of ordering you to serve jail or prison time. There are two main types of probation in New Jersey: supervised probation and unsupervised probation. Here are the basics on both types of probation and how they may apply to your criminal case.

If you violate the terms of your court-ordered probation in any way, you will need to appear for a violation of probation (VOP) hearing, where the judge can still order you incarcerated. If you have an upcoming court date for a probation case in Jersey City or elsewhere in New Jersey, you should speak with a knowledgeable NJ criminal defense attorney immediately. Our attorneys have successfully handled countless probation situations in Hudson County and throughout NJ and we can help build your best defense. Here’s one case that of a Violation of Probation for Drugs and Guns that we got dismissed. Contact us today at (201) 793-8018 for more information and a free consultation.

Unsupervised Probation in New Jersey

“Unsupervised,” “informal,” or “non-reporting” terms of probation are commonly ordered by New Jersey courts following a disorderly persons offense conviction and in cases where the court granted PTI, drug court, or some other form of diversion. The term “unsupervised probation” indicates that you do not have to formally check in with an assigned probation officer during your term of probation. But “unsupervised probation” does not mean that you are completely unsupervised. The court will set periodic check-in dates and follow up with you to ensure that you are complying with any probation conditions imposed at the time of your conviction, or following any violation of probation or other change in circumstances that might arise after you were admitted into a diversionary program or sentenced to probation. Courts sometimes permit you to send in probation progress reports through the mail, but, in other cases, you will need to appear in court and bring proof of compliance with your conditions of probation.

Some commonly imposed terms of probation include your submission to random drug tests, completion of anger management classes, completion of substance abuse classes, performance of community service, relinquishment of firearms or other weapons, and avoidance of further arrests. If you violate any of these terms of probation, the court may hold a violation of probation hearing, revoke probation, send you to jail or prison, and/or impose additional conditions of probation, including more community service, more classes, etc.

NJ Supervised Probation

In contrast to “informal” or “unsupervised” probation, supervised probation involves your assignment to a probation officer who will ensure that you comply with all terms and conditions of your grant of probation. Probation officers may periodically request that you provide proof of progress in classes or community service to them, they may require you to check in with them weekly or monthly, and they may make visits to your residence or your workplace to check up on you. Your probation officer may randomly drug test you and otherwise take action to ensure that you are doing everything the court ordered you to do.

Get Help With Jersey City Probation Case

If you fail to check in with your probation officer or if your probation officer believes that you are violating a condition of your probation, they can make a report to the court and testify in a violation of probation hearing to compel your compliance with the court’s orders. Some of the most common examples of probation violations include: a dirty drug test, fail to bring or send the court proof of completion of classes or community service, or being arrested or convicted for a separate crime. You are entitled to legal representation at a violation of probation hearing, and, given the serious consequences that can be associated with such hearings, you should absolutely consult an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney if you are ordered to appear for one. If you have an upcoming court date for probation violation or another probation situation, call us now at  (201) 793-8018 for immediate assistance. We provide free consultations.

With more than a decade of experience defending clients against criminal charges, founding partner William A. Proetta has successfully handled and tried thousands of cases, from DWI to murder. As a New Jersey native, he has focused his career on helping people in the area where he grew up, serving Middlesex, Ocean, Hudson, and Union counties.